Definition of porcupine fish
: any of several bony fishes (family Diodontidae) that have sharp spines covering the body and inflate themselves into a sphere when threatened especially : a spotted chiefly tropical fish (Diodon hystrix) that is olive to brown above with white below
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game