Definition of popularity contest
: a contest or situation in which the person who wins or is most successful is the one who is most popular rather than the one who is most skillful, qualified, etc. The election was just a popularity contest. Voters didn't really care about the issues. —often used to say that someone or something is not popular After laying off hundreds of workers, the company isn't going to win any popularity contests around here.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game