Definition of polysulfide rubber
: any of various synthetic rubbers made by the reaction of a sodium polysulfide with an organic dichloride (as ethylene dichloride or a dichloro derivative of ethyl formal), characterized in general by good resistance to oxygen, light, oils, and solvents, impermeability to gases, and poor tensile strength and abrasion resistance, and used chiefly in mechanical rubber goods, in adhesives, binders, and sealing compositions, and in coatings (as for textiles)
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game