Definition of polysulfide rubber
: any of various synthetic rubbers made by the reaction of a sodium polysulfide with an organic dichloride (as ethylene dichloride or a dichloro derivative of ethyl formal), characterized in general by good resistance to oxygen, light, oils, and solvents, impermeability to gases, and poor tensile strength and abrasion resistance, and used chiefly in mechanical rubber goods, in adhesives, binders, and sealing compositions, and in coatings (as for textiles)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game