pol·yp·to·ton | \ ˌpälə̇pˈtōˌtän\
plural polyptota\ -ōtə \
Definition of polyptoton
: the rhetorical repetition of a word in a different case, inflection, or voice in the same sentence (as in Tennyson's “my own heart's heart, and ownest own, farewell”)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?