Definition of police commissioner
1 : a member of a board of civilian officials legally charged with the making of policy for and the exercise of general supervisory powers over a police department
2 : an appointed civilian official commissioned to regulate and control the appointment, duties, and discipline of the police and to act as the chief executive of the police department in a political unit (as a city)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?