Definition of pole switching
: switching by means of a pole extended from the side of a locomotive or a pole-car in front of a locomotive with the pole being used to push a car or cut of cars on a paralleling track to a designated classification track
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game