Definition of pole piece
1 : a stout harness strap connecting a horse's collar with the pole of a wagon
2 : the ridgepole of a roof
3 [ 4pole + piece ] : a piece of soft iron at a pole of an electromagnet usually shaped to concentrate or direct the external flux in some desired path
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?