variants: or Poindexter
plural poindexters or Poindexters
Definition of poindexter
: a person with intellectual or academic interests or pretensions "We have this picture of data scientists as these Poindexters in lab coats … "— Matt West Because, as the head of a team of poindexters from Hewlett-Packard and U.C.L.A., this 37-year-old chemistry professor is a leading figure in the whiz-bang field of nanotechnology …— James Wolcott He's an absolute swot, but shares his knowledge generously with the rest of the class, unlike those Poindexters I tried to copy from …— Tony Squires especially : nerd Any self-respecting poindexter knows to carry an eyeglass repair kit with those tiny screwdrivers to tighten a loose earpiece. — Jason Tanz … The Simpsons boasts such an impressive array of geeks, dweebs, nerds, poindexters, doofuses and socially maladjusted malcontents … — Nathan Rabin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game