Definition of plus/minus sign
: the sign ± used to indicate a quantity (such as 2 in "the square root of 4 is ±2") taking on both an algebraically positive value and its negative and to indicate a plus or minus quantity (such as 4 in "the population age was 30 ± 4 years")
— called also plus/minus symbol
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game