plunked down or plonked down; plunking down or plonking down; plunks down
Definition of plunk down
: to drop abruptly : settle into position
1a : to put down usually firmly or abruptly plunked the items down on the counter
b : to settle (oneself) into position plunked himself down on the bench
2 : to pay out reluctant to plunk down the money for a new car
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game