Definition of plum pocket
1 : a disease of plums caused by either of two fungi (Taphrina pruni and T. communis) and characterized by abortion of the stone leaving a cavity within the swollen distorted fruit —usually used in plural
2 : a fruit affected with plum pockets
— called also bladder plum
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game