Definition of plum curculio
: an American weevil (Conotrachelus nenuphar) that is very destructive to plums, cherries, nectarines, peaches, and other stone fruits and to apples, the adult feeding on the leaves of these trees and laying its eggs in crescent-shaped incisions made in the fruit and the larva migrating inward and feeding upon the pulp around the stone or core
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game