Definition of plugboard
1 : an electrical switchboard in which connections are made by means of plugs
2 : the part of a tabulating machine in which adjustments are made that determine the place at which a card is punched or stamped
3 : a panel in a computer or other electronic equipment having a multiplicity of female connectors into which male plugs are inserted to establish electrical control circuits
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game