plow uptransitive verb
Definition of plow up
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : to bring to the surface by or as if by plowing : turn, cast, or pull up with or as if with a plow had plowed quite a lot of arrowheads up plow up the beets — Accent by hard work had plowed up several nasty secrets
2 : to break (ground) up by plowing
variants: or plough-up \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗ \
Definition of plow-up (Entry 2 of 2)
: the conversion of an area of virgin sod into cropland
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?