play withphrasal verb
played with; playing with; plays with
Definition of play with
1 : to move or handle (something) with one's hands or fingers often without thinking Stop playing with that pen and pay attention to what I'm saying.
2 : to handle, change, or deal with (something) in a careless way I played with the radio for a while but couldn't get it to work. It's important to teach your children not to play with guns/fire/matches. Don't play with my heart/emotions. You have to take this seriously. You're playing with people's lives!
3 : to think about (something) briefly and not very seriously I played with the idea of moving to Chicago but ended up staying in New York.
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game