play uponphrasal verb
played upon; playing upon; plays upon
Definition of play upon
: to make people do what one wants by using (their emotions, fears, concerns, etc.) in an unfair way Politicians often win votes by playing upon people's emotions.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game