play onphrasal verb
played on; playing on; plays on
Definition of play on
: to make people do what one wants by using (their emotions, fears, concerns, etc.) in an unfair way The company plays on the concerns of parents in order to sell their products.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game