play onphrasal verb
played on; playing on; plays on
Definition of play on
: to make people do what one wants by using (their emotions, fears, concerns, etc.) in an unfair way The company plays on the concerns of parents in order to sell their products.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game