play aboutphrasal verb
played about; playing about; plays about
Definition of play about
1 : to have sex with someone who is not one's husband, wife, or regular partner He's not the kind of guy who plays about. —often + on She's been playing about on her husband. —often + with She's been playing about with one of her coworkers.
2 : to deal with or treat something in a careless way When it comes to protecting his family, he doesn't play about. —often + with You can't play about with diabetes; it's a very serious disease.
3 : to use or do something in a way that is not very serious It's time to stop playing about and get busy. —often + on I spent the evening playing about on the piano/computer/Internet. —often + with I'm not really a painter; I just like to play about with paints.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game