Definition of platoon system
1 : a system of assignment of divisions of the police of a large city to duty at stated times so that the city is equally policed at all hours
2 : a system of football strategy in which defensive and offensive platoons are alternated in play
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?