Definition of platinum metal
: any of the six precious metallic elements including platinum and elements resembling it in chemical and physical properties that belong to group VIII of the periodic table and are often subdivided into two triads one of which is composed of ruthenium, rhodium, and palladium whose specific gravities are about 12 and the other of which is composed of osmium, iridium, and platinum whose specific gravities are over 21
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?