Definition of plagal mode
: a church mode (such as Hypophrygian or Hypomixolydian) with the same final (see final entry 2 sense c) as its parallel authentic mode but with an ambitus a fourth lower A plagal mode is found a fourth below its authentic, and the final of the authentic serves also for the plagal.— Rupert Hughes, The Musical Guide, 1903 — compare authentic mode — see church mode illustration
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game