pitot-static tubenoun (1), often capitalized P
Definition of pitot-static tube
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a device that consists of a pitot tube and a static tube and that measures pressures in such a way that the relative speed of a fluid can be determined
pitot tubenoun (2), often capitalized P
Definition of pitot tube (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a device that consists of a tube having a short right-angled bend which is placed vertically in a moving body of fluid (such as air) with the mouth of the bent part directed upstream and that is used with a manometer to measure the velocity of fluid flow
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game