Definition of pitch apple
: a common tropical American tree (Clusia rosea) that has coarse evergreen leaves, solitary white or rose flowers, and a whitish resinous fruit and that when young often grows over other trees like a vine in such a way as to strangle them
— called also strangler fig
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game