plural pitayas or pitahayas
Definition of pitaya
1 : any of several erect, sprawling, or vining cacti (as of the genera Selenicereus, Hylocereus, or Sternocereus) of Central and South America and Mexico that have large colorful fruits : dragon fruit sense 2 … he was enthusiastic about the prospects of the pitahaya, which is grown in Central America and in Asia, where it's known as dragon fruit.— John Seabrook
2 : the large, usually red, yellow, or white oval or oblong fruit of a pitaya that typically has leathery skin with prominent scaly spikes and a juicy flesh with many tiny black seeds : dragon fruit sense 1 Native to Central and South America, where it's called pitaya or pitahaya, the fruit traveled to Southeast Asia with the French more than a century ago.— A. R. Williams
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game