Definition of pipe roll
1 : one of the annual rolls containing the statements of the accounts of the king's revenue and various expenses and other matters affecting the British public treasury and dating from 1131 to 1833
2 : a roller for supporting a pipe without restraining its longitudinal movement caused by expansion and contraction
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?