pin downphrasal verb
pinned down; pinning down; pins down
Definition of pin down
1 : to cause or force (someone) to make a definite statement or decision about something Reporters tried to pin him down on the specific changes he wants to make to the tax laws.
2 : to find out (something) with certainty Can you pin down when the change occurred? I'm trying to pin the source of the problem down.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?