pin downphrasal verb
pinned down; pinning down; pins down
Definition of pin down
1 : to cause or force (someone) to make a definite statement or decision about something Reporters tried to pin him down on the specific changes he wants to make to the tax laws.
2 : to find out (something) with certainty Can you pin down when the change occurred? I'm trying to pin the source of the problem down.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game