pin downphrasal verb
pinned down; pinning down; pins down
Definition of pin down
1 : to cause or force (someone) to make a definite statement or decision about something Reporters tried to pin him down on the specific changes he wants to make to the tax laws.
2 : to find out (something) with certainty Can you pin down when the change occurred? I'm trying to pin the source of the problem down.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game