pile (something) onidiom
Definition of pile (something) on
1 : to put a large amount of (something) on something or someone He piled on the gravy. The teacher punished the class by piling on more homework. Her parents piled on the pressure to do well in school.
2 : to gained a lot of something He piled on the pounds after he got married.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game