Definition of pied-billed grebe
: a medium-sized North American grebe (Podilymbus podiceps) that is largely dark grayish brown above and whitish below and has a whitish bill encircled by a black band
— called also dabchick, hell-diver
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?