Definition of phosphorus trioxide
: a deliquescent volatile crystalline compound P4O6 that is made by burning phosphorus in a limited supply of air or oxygen, that reacts with cold water to form phosphorous acid, and that decomposes with hot water; tetra-phosphorus hexoxide
— called also phosphorous anhydride
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game