Definition of phosphorus oxychloride
: a volatile fuming liquid compound POCl3 made usually by oxidation of phosphorus trichloride or by reaction of phosphorus pentachloride with phosphorus pentoxide and used chiefly in making phosphoric esters (as tricresyl phosphate)
— called also phosphoryl chloride
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game