phor·mi·um | \ ˈfȯ(r)mēəm\
Definition of phormium
1 capitalized : a genus of herbs (family Liliaceae) with rigid sword-shaped leaves and red or yellow flowers on a leafless scape — see new zealand flax
2 plural -s : a hard fiber from New Zealand flax used for bagging and cordage
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?