Definition of phenyl ether
1 : a low-melting crystalline compound (C6H5)2O of geranium odor used chiefly in perfumes (as for soaps) and in a mixture with biphenyl as a heat-transfer medium
— called also diphenyl ether, diphenyl oxide
2 : an ether in which one of the radicals united to oxygen is phenyl
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game