Definition of phase rule
: a law in physical chemistry: the number of degrees of freedom of a system in equilibrium is equal to the number of components minus the number of phases plus the constant two (as in the system ice -liquid water- water vapor consisting of the one chemical component water and its three physical phases there are no degrees of freedom and the system can exist at only one temperature and pressure)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game