variants: or petty-bag office
Definition of petty bag
: a former office of the common-law side of the English Chancery Court having jurisdiction in suits for and against solicitors and officers of the court, in proceedings by extents on statutes, recognizance, scire facias, certiorari, and in other cases closely affecting the interests of the subject
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game