per·y·lene | \ ˈperəˌlēn\
Definition of perylene
: a yellow crystalline aromatic hydrocarbon C20H12 that is constituted of two naphthalene residues joined to each other through the peri-positions, that is found in small amounts in coal tar, and that can be made from naphthalene by the action of aluminum chloride
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game