Definition of perissodactyl
: any of an order (Perissodactyla) of nonruminant ungulate mammals (such as a horse, a tapir, or a rhinoceros) that usually have an odd number of toes, molar teeth with transverse ridges on the grinding surface, and the posterior premolars resembling true molars
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game