peri·os·tra·cum | \ ˌperēˈästrəkəm\
plural periostraca\ -kə \
Definition of periostracum
: a chitinous layer covering the exterior of the shell in many mollusks, being usually well developed in freshwater forms, and serving to protect the shell from corrosion
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game