Definition of pentyl alcohol
: any of eight isomeric liquid alcohols C5H11OH used chiefly as solvents and in making esters: such as
a : the normal primary alcohol CH3(CH2)3CH2OH that in vapor form is irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract and that is used in organic synthesis; 1-pentanol
— called also amyl alcohol, n-amyl alcohol, n-pentyl alcohol
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game