Definition of pentyl alcohol
: any of eight isomeric liquid alcohols C5H11OH used chiefly as solvents and in making esters: such as
a : the normal primary alcohol CH3(CH2)3CH2OH that in vapor form is irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract and that is used in organic synthesis; 1-pentanol
— called also amyl alcohol, n-amyl alcohol, n-pentyl alcohol
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game