pencil inphrasal verb
penciled in or pencilled in; penciling in or pencilling in; pencils in
Definition of pencil in
: to put (someone or something that may be changed later) on a schedule, list, etc. Would you like me to pencil you in for Thursday morning at 11? —sometimes used figuratively He was penciled in as the director's replacement.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game