Definition of penalty goal
1 : a goal in rugby or soccer that results from a penalty kick
2 : a goal in field hockey resulting from a penalty bully
3 : an automatic goal in ice hockey awarded an attacking team if an opponent throws his stick at the puck in his own defense zone
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?