variants: or pelican eel
Definition of pelican fish
: a deep-sea fish (Eurypharynx pelecanoides) of the order Lyomeri that is black in color and has a head very long in proportion to the trunk, an enormous mouth, and a body ending in a tapering tail
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game