peach tree borernoun
Definition of peach tree borer
: a blue-black clearwing moth (Synanthedon exitiosa synonym Sanninoidea exitiosa) with the female having an orange band on the abdomen and whose white brown-headed larva bores in the wood of stone fruit trees (such as the peach)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game