peace of God
Definition of peace of God
1 : the peace of heart which is the gift of God
2 or Peace of God : an exemption from attack in feudal warfare urged by the church beginning in the latter part of the 9th century for all consecrated persons and places and later for all who claimed the protection of the church (as pilgrims, the poor) — compare truce of god
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game