pax·il·lus | \ ˈpaksələs\
Definition of paxillus
1 capitalized : a genus of rusty-spored mushrooms (family Agaricaceae) having a fleshy thallus with no annulus and decurrent gills separating easily from the cap
2 plural paxilli\ -səˌlī\ or paxilluses : any fungus of the genus Paxillus especially : an edible mushroom (P. involutus)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?