Definition of partridgewood
1a(1) : the hard reddish mottled wood of a tree of the genus Andira (especially A. americana) used especially for walking sticks and cabinetwork
— called also acapu, pheasantwood
(2) : a tree yielding such wood
b : the dark wood of any of several West Indian cabbage palms
d : the light ornately marked gray wood of an Australian fan palm (Livistona inermis)
2 : wood characteristically speckled as the result of attack by a fungus (Stereum frustulosum)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game