Definition of partial veil
: a membrane of the young sporophore of various mushrooms that initially extends from the margin of the cap to the stem, is ruptured by growth, and is represented in the mature sporophore by an annulus about the stem and sometimes by a cortina on the margin of the cap — compare universal veil
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game