variants: or British parlourmaid \ ˈ⸗⸗ˌ⸗ \
Definition of parlormaid
1 : a maid in a private home whose chief duties are to attend to the parlor, the table, and the door
2 : a maid in a hotel or restaurant who attends to rest rooms and offices
— called also matron
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?