para·leip·sis | \ ˌparəˈlīpsə̇s, -lāp-\
variants: or paralepsis \ -lep- \ or paralipsis \ -lip- \
plural paraleipses or paralepses or paralipses\ -p(ˌ)sēz \
Definition of paraleipsis
: a passing over with brief mention in order to emphasize rhetorically the suggestiveness of what is omitted (as in “I confine to this page the volume of his treacheries and debaucheries”)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?