variants: or panage \ ˈpanij \
Definition of pannage
1a : the act of pasturing swine in a wood or forest (as in medieval England)
b : the legal right or privilege of such pasturing
c : the charge or payment made for this privilege
2 : food (as acorns, beechnuts) for swine in a forest
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?