pa·lo·lo | \ pəˈlō(ˌ)lō\
variants: or palolo worm or less commonly bololo \ bə- \
Definition of palolo
: a eunicid worm (Eunice viridis) that burrows in the coral reefs of various Pacific islands and swarms in vast numbers at the surface of the sea for breeding a little before the last quarter of the moon in October and November when they are gathered as highly esteemed food
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?